Friday, August 10, 2007

Onwards bandung panas!

There's only so much one can do with bandung panas, so I have recently created something even more shocking.


See the weird drink? It's a combination of honeydew cordial, kiwi cordial, soya bean, mango cordial and sugar cane juice. When I tried it, it seemed to taste very much of honeydew; must reduce that ingredient next time.

I have also recently combined orange cordial, mango cordial and Ribena. It was quite successful. :-P

* * * * *

Taking photos of specimens under the microscope has also been quite rewarding. Here are some of our observations of algae:


A diatom. Note the silica shell which encases the organism.


A specimen of genus Cylindrosperma.


Pediastrum, our most successful specimen of the day. It was quite hard to find, and when I finally did so, I let one of my teammates see it. Horror of horrors, the moment he peered into the lens, he tried to sharpen the image by making some two or three giant turns of the COARSE focusing knob!

Needless to say, it went totally out of focus and we had to start from scratch. We examined several more samples from the bottle of collected lake water, and it was my careless teammate who eventually found the beautiful specimen shown above.

And truly, his find was more spectacular than mine. ;-)


My lab group. L-R: How, Dinosaur, Shannon, Kenneth and Amos. We like staying overtime, often testing the patience of our tutor. :-P

* * * * *

I've also begun work as 'undercover grammar police officer', correcting notices with grammatical errors by scribbling with my pen.

If you ask me, it's the office staff responsible for these notices who need the compulsory Saturday morning English classes, not the students.

No comments: