Hi everyone, this is the 80th post.
I thought of saying something about my lecturers. None as eccentric or exciting as Kali, though!
1. Ethnic Relations (Puan Fatimi)
This is a compulsory university course. Taught in BM. Sad to say, the lecturer can put caffeinated people to sleep.
2. History and Philosophy of Science (Dr Paul Lettinck)
From Amsterdam. Speaks with a heavy Dutch accent, but overall quite intelligent and somewhat enjoyable. He understands some BM and it is interesting to hear him attempt pronunciation! Dahlah English he speaks weird, what more BM with a Dutch accent :-P
3. Biostatistics (Dr Abdul Majid Mohamed)
This is generally all about statistics.
For some reason, mathematicians don't connect with me. There are two lecturers: one is Dr Normaniza Osman and the other is this guy. He spends most of the time telling 'grandfather stories' (Mr Leong was much better) but... (and here's a big BUT) today I sat in on Dr Normaniza's class and it was very, very sleep-inducing. So I'm glad I'm in Dr Abdul Majid's class.
4. Life Processes (several lecturers; just ended with Dr Normaniza Osman)
Dr Normaniza taught photosynthesis. One of the chapters I liked least at STPM, now taught FIRST! But she managed to sustain interest (her area of expertise is plants on slopes) much more than for the Biostatistics class.
5. Biology of Organisms (several lecturers; presently Dr Chong Ving Ching)
Dr Chong is by far the best lecturer I've had so far. He's the coordinator of the Ecology & Biodiversity programme (my programme) and a marine ecologist by profession. He lectures as if taxonomy (remember Bio Volume 2?) is our first language. Nonetheless, I have been enjoying his classes so far, and I think I'll continue enjoying them! ;-)
6. Introduction to Science and Technology Studies (Mr Ng Boon Kwee)
This is an elective I'm taking outside my department. Attended my first class today. What I dislike about it is the time slot: Wednesday afternoon is a bad time, especially since I've three classes in the morning.
Thankfully, it promises to be an exciting subject. Xiao Ying (formerly of SBU and U6FM 2005) is majoring in Science and Technology Studies, and she says it's fun. The lecturer fumbles with his English (must be Chinese educated) but manages the subject matter fine.
It's quite a philosophical subject and apparently the exams consist of open-ended essay questions.
That's about all for this semester.
In terms of extra-curricular activities, the director of the editorial board at my Residential College wants to make me the Assistant Director of Photography, and the UM Debate Team is having practices every Tuesday and Thursday evening/night.
Competition is stiff, and I'll have to work hard if I want a place on the debate team. And they only field students with consistent CGPAs of 3.0 and above, so I'll have to make sure my studies remain intact too.
No comments:
Post a Comment