Saturday, March 29, 2008

my point of view

Needless to say, I have noted that there is an overwhelming amount of opinions about the current STPM results in VI. So here is what I really think about the education system in VI:

I know that it is not good to compare schools. Different schools may have different teaching methods and different ways of educating their students. As in VI, I noted that, especially when it comes to extra-curricular activities, teachers give huge responsibilities to the students to manage everything in the society. This I noticed when I saw how much Hanson has to handle in the days leading to Exxonmobil Science Quiz (I am sure other presidents faced the same dilemma, but because I am in the Sc and Maths Society, I think it is only right for me to comment on Hanson).

Likewise, I think the same applies to our Form 6 education system. Teachers really gave huge amount of responsibilities to the students to "self-study" when it comes to STPM. This I noticed when our syllabus were not taught finish and the absence of our "beloved" PA teacher. Teachers really leave it to students to do extra-studying on their own, if they want to succeed in exams. In VI, I really struggle to understand stuff that was taught in class. Hence, I opted for help, in the form of tuition classes (I don't know if some of you remember but I actually took tuitions for all subjects, except MUET). Stuff that are taught twice stay longer and better in my memory.

But when I arrived in UKM, I realized that the teaching system in VI differs from the systems in other schools. For example, some of the STPM students in my course shared with me how their teachers were so dedicated in finishing the syllabus for them, even analysing past-year questions, giving them notes made by the teachers themselves, and etc. Even till now, they still remember those useful tips that their teachers gave to help them memorize useful info. All I am saying is that, perhaps VI do lack these kind of dedicated teachers. Sure, when it comes to good results, students' efforts matter most, but perhaps a little help would be better? As a result, these schools have a great number of students scoring 4 flat.

We can argued that the success of these students do not solely depend on the teachers alone. After all, most of my coursemates do come from Chinese schools, where (this is my opinion, pls do not quote me on this), I believe, Chinese students are a competitive bunch and the rules are a lot stricter there. But what do I know, I am a banana after all, who only learn Mandarin in kindergarten.

As our education system improves in terms of hi-tech ideas and concepts like "sekolah bestari", computer labs, and all kinds of teaching material in CD-ROMs, I wish that the same will apply with the quality of the teachers, and not forgetting, the quality of the students as well.

P.S. Hanson, I am surprised by your post. Since when did your English become so geng? Haha;)

5 comments:

BFclassmate said...

geng?? it took me hours to post.. haih.. already tried to refine my english.. but still.. hahaha... swt

BFclassmate said...

ceh...maybe you should have planned it on a piece of paper perhaps? Haha...I cannot believe you still hold such grudge towards your juniors. Hmm...this reminds me of that time when Ben say something about Form 6 being like hell...I wonder what was the full quote like d?

-fiona-

BFclassmate said...

one thing for sure, not all societies in VI depend on teacher to operate. For one, scouts in VI are better off without guidance of teachers as teachers are only barrier for any activities done. VI fan club operates alone. But now since VI is so governized these days, all clubs and socities are being observed closely. therefore teachers are always trying to interfere as much as they could, where students sometimes see it as pengacau...

another thing is that VI students always survive like parasites. although teachers are doing less than they should, students still live, though not as prosperous. if students from other schools come to vi, they die. vi students are so adaptable to extreme environment, they survive coz they are strong. but i am talking of previous experience. mayb the batch nowadays have lower quality in terms of gene...


[Jino] - A man's not a man unless he knows how to shoot

BFclassmate said...

Totally agree wit jino!! VI students are tough and strong!! Proud to be a Victorian!!!

-hanson-

SimianD said...

Wah.. Jino, I know you're doing biochemistry, but your genetic analysis of Victorians and survival in extreme environments really takes the cake!

Btw Fiona, it was Kali who said Form Six is like hell, not me. I only quoted him.