Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Return of the Bandung Panas

First off, an update from Man, the Taman Negara guide.

He says a 3D/2N camping trip into the jungle will involve caving on the first night and then spending the second at the hide (a place of concealment from which to observe wildlife, something like a camouflage).

RM 280 per person including all food and camping gear.

I suppose he can also do 2D/1N arrangements, and he's quite flexible. What we need to do is actually confirm something and give him our plan so he can work out what's best.

Whatever the final decision is, we should be moving towards something more concrete before the end of January. With the small travel window that we have, it's probably best to secure the guide early before he gets other bookings etc.

Much as last-minute additions to the group can make things more fun, not all trips are as flexible. Then again, we can always fix a number of people to go camping, let's say six. Then if in the end we have a group of 15 going to Taman Negara, six can go camping while the other nine stay at the lodge or something.

That way, those who want to go to Taman Negara but don't want to camp, can go. And those who want to camp will be able to.

Actually all we really need to confirm is the number of campers (if any), not so much the final number going for the trip.

* * * * *

Meet two of my lecturers this semester:


Dr Shaharudin in his first lecture on Population Biology said the following:

"A mental defect may be caused by a recessive gene. This may make a person crazy, though I wouldn't say that. People called most of the geniuses mad; they said Einstein was mad but today we are using his formulas. In fact, you and I may be carrying mental defect genes! That's why it is better to marry a non-relative, like someone out of this world [class laughs], OK maybe out of this country."

(For those of you who have forgotten your genetics, the reason for not marrying a close relative is that the chances of a recessive gene being expressed increases tremendously when your spouse has that same gene, and the most likely people to have similar genes to yours are your close relatives.)

As I listened to him, I thought to myself: Some hide the gene, and others exhibit it! Heheheh... go figure.


Ms Zeeda in her second lecture on the Introduction to Environmental Philosophy posed this question to us:

What do you think about wild monkeys in the University of Malaya? Some of these monkeys have caused a lot of nuisance to the campus community. But they have been here longer than we are here and a part of the forest that we have destroyed to build this campus.

Should the monkeys be left alone?


Coincidentally, she did her undergraduate degree in Ecology and lived in the college I'm in now!

This is by far my favourite subject this semester; it's very philosophical. But for the life of me, I cannot imagine why so many people signed up for it. In the first week we had perhaps about 100 students; now we have about 150! Considering that most of them are taking this subject as an optional elective and that students generally choose electives that are easy to score in, I think many of them are kidding themselves.

No doubt, it is a fun subject. But seriously, when has philosophy ever been the easy way out? And I'm quite sure students here are generally more interested in a course that can give them an easy A (or easy pass, depending on their level) rather than one that is challenging but trickier to ace.

Oh well, I'm enjoying things so far!

No comments: