Unless I am very much mistaken, all UM students are allowed full access to all library collections across the university. Thus I have been borrowing books from the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS) Library as well as the Asia-Europe Institute Library; there is a restriction on the number of items I can borrow, but I can borrow nonetheless.
Some weeks back, I visited the Law Library while waiting for Dato' Mustapa Mohamed (Minister of Higher Education) to arrive for a dialogue session at the Law Faculty. However, when I attempted to borrow a collection of short stories by R.K. Narayan, the guy at the counter said only Law students could do so.
His excuse was that the collection of books at the Law Faculty was limited. It certainly was a lot LESS limited than the IPS collection!
This prompted a comment from my friend Soo Tian when I recounted the incident to him some days later; he said the man was being facultist... you know, racist, sexist, feminist. So a facultist is someone who discriminates against people from other faculties.
;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment